Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Love is in the Air or Shifting Dynamics in a Band of Horses

I was fully prepared to come home today and write about how love is in the air at Czar of the Woods Farm.  Don't get me wrong it still is, it's just different than it was 12 hours ago, but especially different than it was earlier in the week.

Before I start can I just say that it is still really surreal to me to have horses.  To go out to the barn each morning and feed them, etc and then turn them out for the day.  It is an incredible feeling to have these peaceful and large beasts dependent on you.  This morning I let them out and the sun was shining as it came up over the hill and I took the time to watch each horse find his or her pile of hay to start with.  It all smelled so good.  The morning, the horses, even the sun.

You're probably wondering about the 'her' horse that I mention above.  No, Czar and Midnight have not fallen into gay horse love.  I would be fine with that as I fully support anyone that is gay, whether they are a horse or human.  This involves a lady horse, Ember. 
 
Ember is a 13 year old Saddlebred mare (unspayed female horse) and she came to the farm nearly 2 weeks ago.  She was incredibly nervous for the first few days.  Not surprising given any new surroundings.  The plan was to introduce her to Czar, the non-dominant gelded (neutered) male, of the pair of he and Midnight, without Midnight being around.  This is important because he really wasn't in a role to be able to be interested in her as Midnight shouldn't let him.  Not to mention, he's 25 and has no man business.

Well apparently this doesn't matter.  I introduced Ember to Czar over a fence and within seconds he was making the noise of "huhhuhhuhhuhhuhhuh" and proceeded to get the biggest horse erection ever.  Well it was the biggest one I'd ever seen, on a horse that is-I've seen maybe 2 that close in my life.  Once at the fair on Bill, the horse when I was a kid and on my boy Czar.  As big as my forearm, no lie.  A 25 year old horse getting an erection is like the equivalent of your Grandfather getting one when a beautiful young girl walks in the room.
When I let Ember into the arena with Czar they both took a liking one another and Czar proceeded to take her as his girlfriend.  She was way into him and he probably would have mounted and humped my car if I parked it to close to him.  Again, he's neutered, this isn't supposed to be the case.  For 4+ days Czar pretty much walked around with  that erection and they were moving past 3rd base and fast.  If he could have he would have and she would have let him.   Ember has been a bit of a whor-se.  They say to call the doctor if an erection lasts more than 4 DAYS.
  
Then came the time to introduce Midnight, the alpha horse, or top dog if you will to Ember outside while Czar was in the barn.  He too liked her but more of an indifferent, "yep, you're a horse, I'm a horse, wanna eat some hay" kind of way.  That was that.  Very peaceful.  Next came the banding of all three together into one herd.  I fully expected Midnight to tell Czar to put it in his holster and to do so with gusto.  Welllll, that didn't happen.  Czar suddenly found himself thrusted into the alpha position and he was both protecting Ember from Midnight, even though Midnight really didn't want her.  Anytime Midnight got close, Czar chased him off and most of the time I found him to position himself between Ember and Midnight.
  
This went on for several days and Ember and Czar nuzzled and he continued to walk around with his sun dial out.  This morning I put them out and there was more of the same; Czar keeping Ember away from Midnight and the two of them eating together like lovers.
  
What a difference less than 12 hours makes.  Not exactly sure what happened while I was at work but it now appears that Ember has taken on the alpha role.  She has taken a real interest in Midnight, despite his continuing indifference toward her and she is now protecting him from Czar.  Not very aggressively but simply by positioning herself between the two boys.  Not sure where Czar fits in; if he fell back down the ladder or if he is now on equal ground with Midnight.  Time will tell.  All 3 are getting along very peaceably as I spent quite a while out in the arena tonight brushing each one.  And yes, Grandpa Czar, has relaxed his weapon and put it away at least for now.

This is Ember...

Notice Ember on the far right with Czar close by and Midnight the former alpha in the foreground...


Ember and Czar nuzzling...


Notice the "lovers" eating together...

Czar positions himself between Ember and Midnight.  Czar's ears are back (not a happy horse)...

Czar working the space between Ember and Midnight...

More photos of the "lovers" paired off and Midnight...

These photos were taken ~ 12 hrs ago and boy how things have changed...photos to follow.

2 comments:

Carole Kancar said...

What a surprising change in the 'horsey' politics world....I guess the lady now rules the roost.
When you originally told us about Czar's & Ember's first meeting, along with descriptive sounds and movements, we were in hysterics....that was so funny!
Today's desriptive visuals are just as hilarious!!! I guess only time will tell if this dynamic will be changed yet again.

Anonymous said...

Eric & Sarah,
Really like all you've done to your farm. The animals are so fortunate to live with such caring owners. They even have their own blankets! Bet you don't have trouble sleeping at night...keep up the good work!