Monday, December 27, 2010

Woke Up Feeling Sad or Christmas is Over

So that's that!  Christmas is over!  Childlike I waited for it all year and it has already come and gone.  It is always perfect on so many levels.  My brother Todd and my sister in law Jenna were to head back to NYC sunday night but due to the looming snow storm they tried to get a jump on it and decided to fly out sunday morning.  This was not to be as their flight was canceled.  Having to go to work on monday staying another day was not an option so they took the train across the state.  Rather than hanging out with them for the day on sunday Sarah and I had a lazy day, which in and of itself was pretty great.  We watched The Flaming Lips - The Fearless Freaks documentary which was amazing.  We also watched Crocodile Dundee and Crocodile Dundee II on AMC.  A very cozy day of relaxation after several days of running around for the holidays.

The train from Buffalo to NYC takes at least 8 hrs due to all the stops in between.  They had a stowaway, Teddy, their maltese dog.  Amtrak does not allow pets which I was quite surprised about.  Most of the people that were on the train had flights canceled and that was plan B or C.  I was picturing several hundred stowaway dogs emerging from their hiding places once everyone got off the train.  How cute would that have been!  I got a text from Todd at 4 in the morning.  They had finally gotten home and it was a blizzard; the cab having to drop them off a block away from their apartment.  This involved carrying several bags of luggage and Teddy.  I was picturing very deep snow, Jenna on Todd's shoulders and Teddy atop Todd's russian fur hat with luggage in tow!  HA!

At one point I woke up from a nap in the afternoon feeling very sad because that overwhelming feeling that you get when something that you have anticipated all year has come and gone, coupled with missing Todd and Jenna, had washed over me.

I didn't have time to dwell on in though because right after that it was dinner time in the barn and the animals were so excited to eat, despite the bitter cold.

Gord Downie (of The Tragically Hip) wrote this poem that sums up how I feel about Christmas once it's over:
Christmas Day (for Edgar)
My dad always used to say, 
just after the presents'
"Well, it's as faraway now
as it'll ever be."

I'm thinking about that as
the stewardess cracks the 
public address system:
"For those sitting in Economy,
there's no music 
for you today."

Merry Christmas everyone!  Mine was perfect.  I hope yours was too.
For those of you that did not yet see the Christmas card that I designed for us this year, here it is.  I was going for a vintage hockey sweater look.  I took the logo that Todd designed for us and "Christmas-ified" it with color.  Boy would I love to get a jersey made for the farm!

front...

back...


No comments: